Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Campus Cops

Is it just me or does it seem like campus police worry more about their quota than it does safety of students. I recently spoke with Justin Brown you may know him on the commercials and billboards, and explained to me that $600 of our tuition is paying to put the security guard on the front of the Happy Bus. If you do the math that is a lot of money they're making per student. I think a bit ridiculus too. Don't you think maybe if we're paying extra atleast pay maybe students to clean the bus after every night. Yeah it would be disgusting but I'd rather pay my own campus friends than to pay a guy with a cheap security jacket on money to stand there.

10 comments:

  1. I understand where you are comming from Dan. I have seen for the first time last weekend that they do in fact have a security guard on the bus, and for what reasons? Yes I know, it is college and college habits happen, but i don't think that people will be causing problems or acting stupid on their ONLY ride around campus, you feel me? Anyways, the bus driver is a responsible adult and is able to handle situations and make sure the Happy Bus is a safe ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that the campus was trying to put a cop on the happy bus. I do not take the bus anywhere, but I feel like $600 of mine money is paying a guy just to stand there is ridiculous. Like Dan said, I would pay college students then the cop. I feel like all the cops do here is ticket people for parking. It seems like they do not care for the safety of the students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had absolutely no idea that this happens, paying $600 dollars for someone to stand at the front of a bus when it does it's nights routes is in my eyes ridiculous. I have been on the bus before at night and do not think that it is that bad, the kids get on the bus and get off with no problems. The bus driver seems to have the respect from alot of the students anyway so i dont think that they would cause any problems, if you ask me they are creating problems that dont need creating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally think that some "security guard" on the front of the happy bus does not need $600 from the 8,000+ students that go here. In that cause I might drop out of school and become a security guard! Although I heard he will only be on the bus until Homecoming!! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The security guard on the happy bus is a stupid decision. The happy bus is meant for students who do go out and drink to have a safe ride home and not drive. Now that they put a security guard on there students will not want to ride the bus so they dont get caught. Yes the security guard is not suppose to do anything about kids being drunk but the thought of a security guard on the happy bus just does not go over well with some people. Now that they have a security guard on the bus, the number will go down slightly and increase people getting home drunk other, nonsafe ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The security guard on the happy bus is pointing students in the wrong direction. Think about it, you go out, you're underage, there is a security guard, you don't want to get on the bus. The happy bus was invented as a safe way of transportation for kids to get home from the bars or a party. What we will see now is an increased number of walkers and an increased amount of people getting behind the wheel. I think SRU didn't look at all of the avenues before they made this decision and it is going to end up hurting the university in the end. It almost seems like there goal is to catch people drinking. That isn't right because no matter what we as a campus do, the underage drinking crowd is not going to diminish. This is a step in the wrong direction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely agree with you there. We do not need security guards on the happy bus. They just stand there all night and act as a intimidating factor. If they want, they can just add cameras on the bus. If anything goes wrong, they can just go back to the camera. There, problem is solved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i can't stand the campus police. They think they are the best thing since sliced bread.(yeah I just used that line) They seriously will stop anyone and everyone who they even expect may have something to drink and turn it into a federal investigation. Believe me I know from experience. They seriously do just try and meet their quota and that's all that matters to them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you Dan, this situation is absurd! If they insist on having a "security guard" on the bus, which is supposed to be happy, then so be it, but do not screw us over by taking 600 dollars from us. If they take only one dollar then they would have enough money to pay this rent-a-cop. I do not believe that there should be a security guard on the happy bus because we are all adults and can take care or ourselves, the cops just make it the sad bus. With their quotas, the cops make it a sad campus :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you dan, the campus police situation is ridiculous. All they care about is making their quota so they can buy more fancy police cars and equipment that they don't need. If you look at other police departments equipment compared to SRU's , there's are far better than anyone else's. This shouldn't be because half the time they don't do anything, just pick people off for speeding and parking tickets.

    ReplyDelete